The Good Dinosaur Movie Review


SYNOPSIS:

"The Good Dinosaur" asks the question: What if the asteroid that forever changed life on Earth missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct?  Pixar Animation Studios takes you on an epic journey into the world of dinosaurs where an Apatosaurus named Arlo (voice of Raymond Ochoa) makes an unlikely human friend. While traveling through a harsh and mysterious landscape, Arlo learns the power of confronting his fears and discovers what he is truly capable of.

My Review:
We were invited to attend the Good Dinosaur and I have to admit that my daughter and I were really excited. The previews are fabulous and we couldn't wait for a little "girl time".

As the movie started we meet Arlo, his brother, sister and parents who are still alive because an asteroid missed earth, millions of years ago. I don't believe in evolution but this is a cartoon and I took it at that.

Arlo and his family own a farm and actually grow corn as their food source.  Arlo is the youngest one in the family and seems to be scared of everything. I mean everything! His father was trying his best to teach him and encourage him that he could be brave and fight through the fear to make his mark in this world. Some of the things he said had me thinking about my own insecurities and fears and how I need to get past them. Which is good and bad, I have lots of work to do in my own life.
Then the movie kind took a turn. In true Disney fashion a parent has to die and leave the family to survive without them. It's sad but I saw it coming.  
There was a part in the movie that was not appropriate at all. Arlo and Spot (his "human" friend) eat some berries and they appear to be high. Normally, I don't think that part would have bugged me but when my 8 year old turned to me and asked why are they laughing that hard and acting like that, it really makes you think.  I know my kid's are going to have questions about drugs, and I need to be proactive about it but I guess I just wasn't prepared to have to answer anything in the middle of a Pixar/Disney film.

The scenery of the film is beautiful with large mountains and a river. The detail is gorgeous, you almost forget that you are watching a cartoon. I am not a huge 3D fan to begin with but some of the parts had me a little sick by moving too fast with the 3D effects. My daughter took her glasses off a couple of times. 

The Good Dionsaur didn't live up to my expectations. I'd recommend waiting for it to come out on dvd.

No comments:

Post a Comment